Author Topic: Duration for open/close?  (Read 945 times)

Fallon

Duration for open/close?
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:36:12 pm »
I've got a longer actuator on our door & have noticed it not closing all the way recently. The app says its closed, but it didnt hit the last few inches. Its been cold & snowing so i assume the actuator is running a bit slow. There are SmartApps for amperage. Could we get a similar method to configure how long it tries to open/close?

John Rucker (Solar-Current.com)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Duration for open/close?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:16:43 am »
The CoopBoss firmware does not time the door during close or open.  It runs until the current circuit detects that the actuator has reached one of its limit switches.  This allows us to use just abut any length actuator.  However, there are a couple of reasons the actuator may stop short of closing.  In extreme cold weather some of the less expensive actuators take a great deal more current to close.  This can cause a false object detection event, the door will stop closing and open back up.  SmartThings will show a Jammed message on your smartphone. You should still be able to close it by pushing close once your smartphone says jammed, as that will cause a high current close. Another thing that can happen in extreme cold weather is the power supply is not able to run at its rated value when cold and just shuts down during the high current close.  This will cause you actuator to stop in its current position and the CoopBoss will reboot when the power supply recovers.  The door will be in an unknown state at that point and show up that way on your smartphone.  I bet this may be what happened here.  But you said your smartphone said the door was closed??  It should have said it was unknown if the power supply dropped out.  So I'm not 100% sure what happened.

One other thing to consider is some type of physical flaw in the actuator.  This is pretty rare but some linear actuator have adjustable stops that can get moved.  If this was the case I would think this would happen every time you close the door so I doubt this is the cause.

Let me know if this keep happening!  We now sell a stronger 80 Watt power supply for colder weather http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/GST90A12-P1M/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduikO4lsIkjb%252btK%252bpYk2s9HzGidXt5wbGrNr3i4nr%2fgM4w%3d%3d.   

Fallon

Re: Duration for open/close?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:47:44 pm »
lol, apparently the actuator fell off. Its only mounted 4" above the ground & runs vertically so it wasnt obvious until I went out & looked closer.