Author Topic: CoopBoss H3Vx testing update  (Read 888 times)

John Rucker (Solar-Current.com)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CoopBoss H3Vx testing update
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:09:15 am »
All standard operating testing of the new hardware H3Vx has been going very well for the past couple of weeks.  This week I started testing "bad installation" scenarios.  Things like: What would happen if the user forgot to connect a wire to the actuator?  What would happen if a user connected the wires together causing a short.  What happens if the user doesn't connect the thermistor or the photoresistor.  I want to detect these situations and flag an error letting the user know they have it setup incorrectly or something has pulled loose.

Yesterday during the short test (simulating the power wires to the motor being shorted together) I blew the shunt resistor in the object detection circuit.  The fuse blew as designed but the shunt resistor got to hot and opened up before the fuse blew.   I should be able to make it more resilient by using a lower R value for the shunt resistor.  This change shouldn't require a lot of time but I will have to update the firmware to use the new shunt resistor.  This will push my first shipment of test units back two or three weeks.  The short test is the only test we didn't pass I'm very happy with everything else.  I will get the new shunts on order this week and should have another update in a week or so.

This week I also talked with SmartThings in regards to certification of the CoopBoss' custom device type.  As expected there is going to be a delay on their end of getting to this.  This is not a show stopper as I planned on it taking some time to go through the certification process (up to a year) and in the mean time the users can install the SmartApps and custom device type manually.  I will include steps on how to do this in a white paper. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:14:27 am by John Rucker (Solar-Current.com) »

John Rucker (Solar-Current.com)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CoopBoss H3Vx testing update
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:23:46 am »
Got the new .01 ohm shunts in this week and every thing is working as expected.  Now if the wires are shorted to the DC motor the CPU detects the short and sends a fault to SmartThings.  Its pretty much fool proof at this point.